Re: Flatpak or repository apps

On Fri 12/Jul/2019 13:27:08 +0200 Reco wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 09:33:44AM +0300, Georgios wrote:
>> Hi there!
>>
>> Based on security and stability i was wondering what is more preferable?
>>
>> Installing apps through flatpak or through debian repositories?
>
> I trust Debian at packaging software, correcting obvious software
> defects in the process, and supporting the unchanged behaviour of the
> software during the lifecycle of the stable release while providing the
> bugfixes.

We all trust Debian.  However, some packages are maintained better
than others.  Georgios mentions libreoffice as a candidate for
flatpak.  Since they produce .deb's as well, it is probably better to
install that.  You get LibreOffice 6.2 rather than stock 1:6.1.5-3 on
Buster.  LibreOffice signals the presence of new versions when you run
it, so you can upgrade on occasion, as you would do under Windows.

If LibreOffice only maintained a flatpak, then the merit would lay in
the packaging system.  Flatpak doesn't seem to be so widely generic as
GNU autotools.  It makes a few harsh categorizations, mainly about
graphics, and assumes the rest is the same on all Linux distributions.
 Neither flatpak nor autotools integrate with Debian package
management.  Pro and cons?

Best
Ale