Re: Where'd lsb-compat go?

On 7/11/19 10:04 PM, Dominic Knight wrote:
On Thu, 2019-07-11 at 13:48 -0500, Kent West wrote:
Two issues:

1) I have several Debian boxes running as kiosks, and reporting to a
centralized Quest-branded "Systems Management Appliance" (SMA). With
recent update to the SMA, the Debian boxes stopped reporting in.
After
several weeks, I finally discovered that the installation of
"lsb-compat" on several of them restored their functionality. Today,
when I go to install "lsb-compat" on the other's, I find it's no
longer
available in Buster. Has it been deprecated? Why? Any ideas how I'm
going to get my boxes reporting again to the SMA (what does "lsb-
compat"
******
The Linux Standard Base (http://www.linuxbase.org/) was a standard
core system that third-party applications written for Linux could
depend upon.

This package provides the most minimal layer to be able to install and
run selected legacy LSB packages on Debian.
******

(untested) Maybe temporarily set your sources to old stable or stretch
and pick it up from there (then reset them of course).

I could only guess when you installed on the other boxes it was set to
stable (stretch) which was then stable but is now buster.

Okay, I've learned something about aptitude.

I added "oldstable" and after an "aptitude update", the older lsb stuff became available with an "aptitude search lsb", and I installed "lsb-compat". And when I removed "oldstable" and did another "aptitude update", the old lsb stuff was still available. That surprised me; I thought "aptitude search" would show what was available for downloading, but I guess it needs to also remember what is currently installed. And if I purge "lsb-compat" and then do another "aptitude search lsb", sure enough, the old stuff is now not shown.

Interesting....

So that answers my issue #2.

Back to issue #1:

When I updated the working machine to my current "stable" sources.list, the version of Debian on that box went from 9.9 to 10, and even though "lsb-compat" remained installed, the communication with my Quest server has again gone silent. So apparently I don't need to know what lsb-compat does, or how to duplicate that functionality in some way now that lsb-compat is (apparently) deprecated, because the problem seems to be deeper than that. Although something changed between version 9.9 with lsb-compat and version 10 with lsb-compat, that's too general of an issue to ask about on this list; I'll have to narrow down more specifically what the Quest server is looking for (unless someone just knows what might have changed between the two versions that might have affected a third-party in this way - not likely).

And finally, yeah, I normally track release names ("potato", "buster", etc) in my sources.list files, but for some reason the working machine was tracking "stable", so I modified the non-working machine from "stretch" to "stable" to make the two machines more similar. I'm generally wary of the potential of upgrading to a new version by accident.

Thanks, all!

--

Kent