Re: Minimial Live Image

On 7/12/19 1:38 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:

On Jul 11, 2019, at 11:06 AM, J.Arun Mani <J.ArunMani@protonmail.com> wrote:

Hi

Im planning to install Debian in my (already Linux Mint powered) laptop. But the ISO size is huge (~2.7 GB), something beyond my per-day bandwidth limit of 1.5 GB (actually 2 GB, but .5 GB is spent in other personal things). And I also found that Debian ships with a large pack of softwares and does not have (official) support for propertiary drivers.

So what I want is a live bootable minimial ISO with a DE (a basic one is enough if DEs can be changed easily later) and a basic set of packages with support for propertiary drivers (is there anyother way to get it if Debian doesn't provide it officially ?).

My dear friends, help me, where can I find such ISOs? (No Netinst or Network boot, because of my Internet speed and other issues)

Nice day :)
J Arun Mani
Hi!

I found this [1] 1.3GB image.  (“standard” = no DE, just text console.  But you can add any DE you want later with “sudo tasksel”.)  That’s just barely under your stated daily bandwidth allowance of 1.5GB.  Everything else (the images that include a DE GUI) is hovering around 2.5GB.
actually the "standard" does install a desktop, it is some sort of Gnome Lite.

I made the mistake of not deselecting it (DVD install) a day or two ago and ended up with a very odd desktop that that did not include Synaptic. After finding the "software store" I got Synaptic installed but it had something that conflicted so it did not operate correctly.

I finally discovered that if I logout and then login it there were several options options,
one was *system X11 default*.
choosing that I was able to run Synaptic and proceed with installing Mate.

I suspect it has something to do with Wayland as dictated by Gnome
You can also get it from bittorrent at [2].  Bittorrent is recommended if you have a choice, because it minimizes the load on the debian.org servers.

Hope it helps!

Rick

[1] https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/10.0.0-live+nonfree/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-10.0.0-amd64-standard+nonfree.iso

[2] https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/10.0.0-live+nonfree/amd64/bt-hybrid/debian-live-10.0.0-amd64-standard+nonfree.iso.torrent