Re: HTML mail

On Thu 11 Jul 2019 at 07:26:00 (-0500), John Hasler wrote:
> Brad Rogers writes:
> > Except that the worst offenders are commercial entities such google,
> > ebay(1), all banks, amazon, etc, etc. ad nauseam.  *None* of them are
> > going to remove HTML and/or CSS from their emails until something
> > 'better'(2) comes along.
>
> Some banks have found something "better".  Their emails contain a link
> which automatically opens a page on their site in your browser (they
> assume that everyone reads email in a browser, of course).  They claim
> this is more secure.

And if you don't open that link, they¹ assume you don't read their
emails at all. After a few months, they start sending emails
complaining about that, and threatening to stop sending you emails.

> Citi does this with emails inquiring about a possibly fraudulent
> transaction.  If you kill the process as soon as you realize that
> something in that email is trying to connect to something (as any sane
> person would) they consider that you have authorized the transaction.

I can't confirm that as they sent me a simultaneous text as well as
the email, so our dialogue was continued by text and then phone. (They
were extremely efficient, and I can't complain about their actions.)
But thanks for the heads-up.

> There is no point in complaining.  99% of users object to anything *but*
> html mail.  Most don't know that anything else exists.

¹ not Citi, thankfully.

Cheers,
David.