Wpa_supplicant Error: No such device

A problem when trying to associate with a wireless router
(WPA2). Get the following error when manually executing:

wpa_supplicant -i wlx<hexnumber>
-c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Could not read interface wlx<hexnumber> flags: No such device
nl80211: Driver does not support authentication/association or connect
commands
nl80122: [can't read my own writing on this one]

Wpa_supplicant fails whether I use the -B (background) switch or not.

Here's the wpa_supplicant.conf file:

ctrl_interface=DIR=/run/wpa_supplicant
update_config=1

network={
	ssid="ROUTERNAME"
#	scan_ssid=1
#	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
#	psk="SECRETPASSPHRASE"
	psk=longhexnumber
}

I've tried with and without the commented lines.  Same results.

Here's the wifi portion of my /etc/network/interfaces

allow-hotplug wlx<hexnumber>
iface wlx<hexnumber> inet dhcp
	wpa-ssid ROUTERNAME
#	wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
#	wpa-group TKIP CCMP
#	wpa-psk SECRETPASSPHRASE
	wpa-psk longhexnumber

The wireless is a Rosewill USB RNX-N180UBEv3. It is UP after boot and
scanning wifi routers works.  System tries to associate to router at
boot, but fails.  Correct kernel module (rtl8192eu) is loaded.

Anyone got an idea of why wpa_supplicant is failing?  And how to fix
it?  All commands issued as root.

FYI: I have an atypical Stretch install: No desktop environment,
window manager only; sysvinit, but systemd libraries still installed.
Boots to terminal, login there, then startx, if I want a GUI.  Wifi UP
at terminal and scanning works. This is not a laptop.  Wired ethernet
works and has always (12 years) worked.

Thanks.