Re: aptitude new packages list forgets old

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> Beware that the list of new packages in buster is way too large to
> browse casually.  In main alone there are over 13,000 new binary
> packages!

I did it for 20 years, I'm not going to stop now ;-)
... I know it takes more than a day to browse for new packages.
but I have good overview of what all can packages in Debian do, worth it.

>> until now it was easy:
>>
>> do 'f'orget new packages in aptitude
>> change sources.list to point to new release
>> do 'u'pdate packages list
>> ... voila
>>
>> but now, when I do this, aptitude seems to forget all info about packages
>> previously available.
>
> Indeed.  I have seen this before, also when switching mirrors in
> sources.list.  I seems that aptitude somehow forgets about the
> previously available packages before it sees the one from the new
> repository, which could be called a bug.

seems a bug, since in jessie this didn't happen.

>> What do I wrong? Thanks
>
> I don't think you did actually anything wrong, since what you did ought
> to work.  To work around that, you could do either:
>
> - run "apt update" rather than aptitude after you changed sources.list,
>   or
>
> - _add_ an entry for the new release in sources.list rather than
>   replacing the current one (you may remove the old entry later).

I have tried this as workaround and it helper. However, it doesn't show
obsolete packages then.

btw, if running update fails, the old lists are not removed, but
intentionally failing the update is not what I want to do.

> If you want to actually do that now, you need to point back your
> sources.list to stretch temporarily and run
> "aptitude update && aptitude forget-new" before proceeding with one of
> the above suggestions.

I'm not interested in your website anymore.
If you need cookies, bake them yourself.