Re: Assorted arm-buster problems - network configuration

On Sat 06 Jul 2019 at 18:14:04 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 06 July 2019 15:35:10 Brian wrote:

That was your claim. Then I read the following:

  Greg> Whatever Gene did, it's absolutely not normal or desirable for
  Greg> nsswitch.conf to vanish.  I still think he deleted it by hand and then
  Greg> forgot the exact sequence of steps which led to its disappearance, so
  Greg> he simply blamed it on purging ahavi-daemon.

  Gene> I didn't say that. If I made that impression I didn't intend to. I
  Gene> removed it by hand about 2 hours back but that u-sd has not been
  Gene> inserted in the pi yet as I'm also the chief cook […]
  Gene> […] recycle the dishwasher. :(

> > > Which proves another theorem of mine. Folks with a sheepskin on the
> > > office wall stop learning, and by your stopping without reading the
> > > explanation is evidence of that effect. I can lead you to the facts,
> > > but
> >
> > Your first "fact" is demonstrably incorrect and has been shown to be
> > so. Indeed, you seem to have backed away from your claim that
> > avahi-daemon is the cause of your difficulties. The only place you
> > lead people is up the misleading garden path. A clear statement of
> > what you did and what happened is more likely to bring results; making
> > attacking software a lifestyle choice gets a bit boring after a while.
> >
> > > like the horse refusing to drink when led to water, I'll drop the
> > > reins. You may, or may not drink the water of knowledge. I can't
> > > control that.
> >
> > Is this an attempt at some self-promotion as the fount of knowledge?
> > I never thought I would live to see the day!
>
> If you read the full thread, you will find where I found and fixed that
> problem, by killing dhcpd5 with htop, and restarting networking, and the
> problem was fixed, everything then worked correctly, but I have not
> reinstalled avahi-daemon to see if it returns.  Perhaps I should because
> it appears there were 2 sources of that trash.

Perhaps you mean dhcpcd5? I thought you said that you're "the last one
on the planet using hosts files and no dhcpd's of any kind".

If you were running this, did you try using the -L or --noipv4ll option?

> Yes, I purged what was left as it wouldn't reinstall, then reinstalled
> avahi-daemon.  results:
>
> With avahi-daemon running. the trash in the ip a report was back after a
> networking restart, BUT allthough it showed in an ip r report with a
> metric of 202, I could still ping yahoo.com. I could not before.
>
> So I service avahi-daemon stopped it, and restarted the networking, trash
> 169.254 junk gone. An yahoo.com still pinged.
>
> So I've purged it again.  And restarted the networking yet again.
> ip a:
> pi@picnc:~ $ ip a
> 1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group
> default qlen 1000
>     link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
>     inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
>        valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
>     inet6 ::1/128 scope host
>        valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
> 2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
> state UP group default qlen 1000
>     link/ether b8:27:eb:d3:47:2d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>     inet 192.168.71.12/24 brd 192.168.71.255 scope global eth0
>        valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
>     inet6 fe80::8815:60eb:fe0a:d5bc/64 scope link
>        valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
> 3: wlan0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
> state DOWN group default qlen 1000
>     link/ether b8:27:eb:86:12:78 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>
> ip r:
> pi@picnc:~ $ ip r
> default via 192.168.71.1 dev eth0 onlink
> 192.168.71.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.71.12

That looks very like what I posted, except for "onlink"; also I'm
connected by wireless rather than wire. But my    ps -ef   listing
and nsswitch.conf file show:
$ ps -ef | grep avahi | grep -v grep ; grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf
avahi      653     1  0 21:23 ?        00:00:00 avahi-daemon: running [wren.local]
avahi      666   653  0 21:23 ?        00:00:00 avahi-daemon: chroot helper
hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
$

> So I now have a working network. Free of the bogus inventions of dhcpd5
> and avahi.  That _was_ the point of all this hoopla in the first place.
>
> Now, I have learned what works to _my_ satisfaction.

Glad to hear it. I still don't see that you've shown why you had to
purge avahi to get your results above.

> Have you? Or did you quit reading the instant I went off the edge of your
> menu?

Cheers,
David.