Re: Document removal of ecryptfs-utils from Buster

On 2/07/19 9:13 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 01 July 2019 19:42:08 David Wright wrote:

>>> Whole filesystem encryption would be a total non-starter for me.
>>
>> Fair enough. Could you reveal why, or are your reasons cryptic too?
>
> No, but if for some reason, say a cerebral accident, I should lose the
> password, the whole system would be locked away, and that would be
> unforgivable.  And at 84&counting, I've no warranty I'll remember my own
> name 10 minutes from my hitting send on this message.

I'm considering whole-filesystem encryption on my laptop, because that's
what's most likely to be lost/stolen etc. But that's backed up to a
machine at home, which is not encrypted.

And you could also put the key on a piece of paper, and lodge it in a
safe deposit box, or with your lawyer, or wherever it needs to be to be
accessible in such unfortunate circumstances.

Richard