Re: Assorted arm-buster problems - network configuration

On Fri, Jul 05, 2019 at 06:35:53AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> yup, and if the repos were open...  They are not as I've previously
> posted. I can report that apt --purge does not, I still see
> an /etc/nsswitch.conf, even though ts been purged.

... what.

Gene, /etc/nsswitch.conf is NOT part of any Debian package.  It's part
of the core installation.  It is absolutely fundamental to the operation
of basically every single piece of the operating system above the
boot loader, the kernel, the ld.so shared library loader, and libc.

If you remove /etc/nsswitch.conf, you won't be able to look up user names,
or service port names, or host names, or basically *any* kind of names of
anything at all.  (Or, at best, you'll get some sort of default behavior
compiled into the C library routines, if any.)

wooledg:~$ dpkg -S /etc/nsswitch.conf
dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /etc/nsswitch.conf

Since nsswitch.conf isn't part of a package, there is absolutely no reason
you should think that purging ANY package would remove it.  And there is
absolutely no reason you should *want* to remove it.