Re: How to have password shown?

On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 06:34:28PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> 	Hi.
>
> On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 03:29:27PM +0200, Renato Gallo wrote:
> > Would be nice for any cracker if it could be possible to get access by shoulder surfing my fingerprint reader ;)
>
> Using a fingerprint instead of a password is a bad idea. Using a
> fingerprint instead of a username - that's OK.
>
> You can change a password if it's leaked.
> You cannot change your fingerprint (legally, that is). And one leaves
> fingerprints on every surface one touches.

Good point :-)

This [1] (alas, in German) describes how the CCC lifted (and published)
the fingerprint of Wolfgang Schäuble [2], at that time German minister
of the Interior, a pretty sharp advocate of authoritarian security.

Now that was 2008: they had to get hold of a glass he had in his hands.
These days, reportedly, a good digital camera is enough for that.

Cheers

[1] https://www.heise.de/security/meldung/CCC-publiziert-die-Fingerabdruecke-von-Wolfgang-Schaeuble-Update-193732.html
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_Sch%C3%A4uble

-- tomas "never use biometric data as a strong identifier"