Re: 70-persistent-net-rules no longer supported? (Was Re: Document removal of ecryptfs-utils from Buster)

On 2019-07-02 at 09:10, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 02, 2019 at 08:51:10AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> On 2019-07-02 at 08:37, Curt wrote:
>>
>>> Not even that, it seems (no longer affects systemd).
>>
>> Have you confirmed that?
>
> I'm using systemd, and the 70-* file was used when I upgraded to
> buster, but that was roughly 2 months ago.  I haven't tested on
> current buster.

It would be worth trying, although I'm not currently in a position to
easily put together a testbed machine (or VM) for this purpose.

>> It seems possible that on a systemd machine, things in other
>> packages (such as whatever would provide that 99-default.link file,
>> which unfortunately - because it's under /etc/ - can't be easily
>> found through 'apt-file search') might still be overriding
>> 70-persistent-net.rules, even with this change reverted.
>
> wooledg:~$ locate 99-default
> /lib/systemd/network/99-default.link
>
> wooledg:~$ dpkg -S 99-default
> udev: /lib/systemd/network/99-default.link

Hmm. Apparently I didn't search for the right thing; I just used the
full explicit path, including /etc/, which found nothing.

I'm guessing this is a case where the systemd pattern of having config
files under /lib/ and symlinking them from under /etc/ is in use, and
that one of /etc/systemd, /etc/systemd/network/, and
/etc/systemd/network/99-default.link is a symlink.

/etc/systemd/network/ doesn't appear on my system, but 99-default.link
does exist under /lib, with the same contents as you gave from yours.

--
   The Wanderer