Re: Document removal of ecryptfs-utils from Buster

On Monday 01 July 2019 03:52:55 Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 12:45:57PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >At this point, I'd call it a buster delaying bug.  That last is going
> > to cost too many that can't ignore it and don't have unencrypted
> > backups. Thats going to be a lot of very bad PR.
>
> It's the release teams call, generally speaking, and one of the things
> they might factor in is the size of the user-base for the troublesome
> package. I'm surprised to find that it's extremely small according to
> popcon data: less than 1% of reporters:
> https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=ecryptfs-utils
>
> Compare just two alternatives:
>
> encfs: 1.14% https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=encfs
> cryptsetup: 15% https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=cryptsetup

That does put a better light on it.  From the comments so far, I was
thinking I'm one of the few not using it. I've depended on dd-wrt
between me and the internet for the last 16 years, and even before that
I was on dialup and the dialup folks didn't have enough bandwidth to
attract the black hats, so I've never been touched.

With all the publicity this thread has given the issue, I'll change my
mind (as if it matters to the team :) and say adequate notice and
mitigating paths seems to have been given. Those that are using it I'd
call pretty advanced and are reading this list just for the notices
given so they shouldn't be surprised. So I'll do an Andy Capp and
shuddup.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis