Re: [Better Solution] how to switch a Debian buster system from systemd to sys-v init

> On Jun 27, 2019, at 12:42 AM, Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 25, 2019, at 11:20 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> wrote:
>>
>> Seems this would work as well, with less collateral damage:
>>
>> apt install -y sysvinit-core elogind
>> apt --purge autoremove
>>

> This works great and, as noted, is far more elegant.
>
> Thanks, Jonas!
> Rick

A warning about all of these solutions:  They will remove the package, network-manager.
Sometimes this may rewrite the “/etc/network/interfaces” file.  You can loose network connectivity after a reboot as a result.
Be prepared to login to the console and fix that up manually if it happens.

Another work-around is to, before doing any apt stuff at all, put a suitable fragment into the “/etc/network/interfaces.d/“ directory that configures at least one of your network interfaces the way you want it.  As an example, on my test system I have:

> $ cat /etc/network/interfaces.d/enp0s3
> auto enp0s3
> iface enp0s3 inet dhcp

Hope it helps!