Re: how to switch a Debian buster system from systemd to sys-v init

On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 05:45:39PM -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:

> Purely out of curiosity, I'd like to see what's involved in
> switching a Debian buster system from systemd to sysv init.

The short version [1]:

  apt-get install -y sysvinit-core

> Please, I don't want to restart or get involved in any of
> the existing systemd/sysv flame wars [...]

Phew! ;-)

> First of all, is this even possible?

See above. It's even easy. But see the somewhat longer version
below.

> Second, has anyone done it?  If so, how did you do it?
> Here's what I've discovered so far:

[I see you already found out about [1], but Mate goes down the drain]

That's right. "Modern" desktop environments (Gnome and derivatives,
most probably also KDE) depend these days on systemd. I don't know
how hard those dependencies are -- you'd want to look at Devuan [2] [3]
to see how far they went, if at all, into fixing this.

Since I'm not using a DE, but just a traditional window manager,
I'm a happy Debian user without systemd.

Cheers

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Installing_without_systemd
[2] https://devuan.org/
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devuan