Re: Converting text subtitles to vobsub

Hi,

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 12:54:30 +0200
Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:

> Michael Lange (12019-06-22):
> > I did investigate some more, now as far as I can see this is actually
> > not true. spumux only creates a .sub file but the .idx file is
> > missing. This seems to be no good except with DVDs. Besides, there
> > seems only to be the choice between 25.0 and 29,97 fps framerates
> > (PAL/NTSC) which is too bad if the video is 23.976 fps :(
>
> Indeed, because vobsub is a bastard format built on top of a crappy
> format. You need spumux to produce spu packets and mux them into a
> MPEG-PS stream, and then you need a DVD ripping tool to butcher the
> MPEG-PS stream and chop the pair of final files.

I found a script that does exactly this at:
    https://code.google.com/archive/p/srt2vob/

It works, but two problems with spumux make it hardly usable, at least
for any video with a resolution greater than DVD statndard:
First (not so important) colormaps are tricky again with spumux; for
example when requesting white fonts with a black outline I actually get
something like "light-pink" with a maroon-like outline.

And second (really bad) when increasing the font size to something
suitable for 1080p content spumux stops with an error saying
"ERR:  Encoded row takes more than 1440 bits.  Please simplify subtitle."
Apparently spumux was made for DVDs and insists on some ancient standard
which appears to make it unusable with HD content.

Looks like the srt2vob developer noticed that too, because they added
another script with a totally different approach they called "2dsub".
This one uses PIL to create the subtitle images and bdsup2sub to convert
these into vobsub. That script clearly requires a bit of work to become
really usable, but as far as I can see now the idea is brilliant, it
takes less than three minutes here to create subtitles that look quite
beautiful.
Finally something to work with :-)

Regards

Michael

Women are more easily and more deeply terrified ... generating more
sheer horror than the male of the species.
		-- Spock, "Wolf in the Fold", stardate 3615.4