Re: Bonus answers - was [Re: Forgot name of Debian "configuration" {wrong word?} file]

Quoting Richard Owlett (2019-06-15 15:33:37)
> On 06/14/2019 06:10 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > I can't remember the name of the file which identifies the
> > association between a directory (i.e. \home) and which physical
> > partition it is on. The file I'm looking for also identifies which
> > partition is used for swap.
> >
> > TIA
> >

> I was looking for /etc/fstab .
>
> Suggestions were made for tools such as df, mount, and inxi used in an
> analytic mode. I either ran them or looked up relevant documentation.
>
> If I had been looking for information one of them could provide, is
> there a URL that attempts to summarize such tools?

You mentioned "directory", "partition", and "swap".

You could use only man-related tools.  Tedious, but possible:

  apropos swap

...lists "mkswap", "swaplabel", "swapoff" and "swapon", among others

  man swapon

...mentions /etc/fstab in its "See also" section (and man pages of other
commands mention swapon in their "See also" section).

I would probably have given up before reaching to a sensible result, and
instead tried a search on https://DuckDuckGo.com/

 - Jonas