Re: error when printing to Samsung C410 series colour laser printer

On 2019-06-15 9:49 a.m., Brian wrote:

On 2019-06-14 7:15 a.m., Brian wrote:
Very useful. As confirmation (or not) of an idea, let us have what

cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/ppd/<Samsung_C410_Series_ppd> -m printer/foo \
-e --list-filters /etc/nsswitch.conf

gives (as root). The line is broken for readability.

Reading over the above output, it struck me that my printer setup wasn't
quite what I thought it was, so I went back to basics, deleted the queues on
both my workstation and the server, downloaded and installed the Samsung
driver on both machines then put the print queues back.
The Samsung driver should be installed only on the server. Having
filtering done twice is very strongly discouraged and is hell to
debug.

  https://wiki.debian.org/PrintQueuesCUPS#Double_Filtering
Printing to a network attached printer isn't double-queuing.
Now I seem to be able to print from the workstation to the server via the
USB connector.
I do not follow this and cannot see how a USB cable between client and
server does anything.
You missed the part where the printer is attached to the server via the USB cable. My grammar was a little unclear but the point is that I always have been able to print through the server via the USB cable. The server can also print via the printer's network connection. However the workstation can't print through the server or directly to the printer's network connection.
I stopped sharing the network connected printer from the server since that
really made little sense. Unfortunately I still can't print directly to the
network connection. The job gets processed but I just get an error message
again.
Printing can only take place if the printer is connected by USB to the
client or shared over the network. Not sharing the printer connected to
the server seems counterproductive.
No. The network attached printer is always visible on the network. Putting a server between the printer and the workstation is adding a layer of complexity. The problem, which printing through the server doesn't solve, is printing to the network attached printer from Buster.

I tried switching to the "driverless" driver but CUPS complained about not
being able to copy the PPD file. I noticed an "IPP Anywhere" driver but that
produced the same results as the normal driver.
A shared server queue provides an AirPrint service and the queue is
suitable for a driverless printing system. CUPS should be able to query
the queue for its IPP attributes and construct a PPD.

  https://wiki.debian.org/DriverlessPrinting#The_CUPS_PPD_Generator
Yes, but the "IPP anywhere" driver produced the same results as the regular C410 driver.
The error I got on both print attempts (normal and IPP Anywhere) was:

SPL-C ERROR - Disconnected from host. Please check the connection and try
again.

     POSITION : 0x396913 (3762451)

     SYSTEM : src/os_hook

     LINE :   1981

     VERSION : SPL-C 5.59.01 06-19-2013

This was printed by the printer instead of the output I sent.

The lpstat output is now:

Samsung_C410_Series permanent ipp://localhost/printers/Samsung_C410_Series
ipp://SEC30CDA71CB48A.local:631/ipp/printer
This is a queue that has been set up locally on the client using the
Samsung driver. It is likely to bring havoc to printing. Delete the
queue. If you really want to set up a local queue, use the CUPS web
interface with the driverless or everywhere models, or do

  lpadmin -p c410 -v ipp://SEC30CDA71CB48A.local:631/ipp/printer -E -m everywhere

Samsung_C410_Series_SEC30CDA71CB48A_ network none
ipp://Samsung%20C410%20Series%20(SEC30CDA71CB48A)._ipp._tcp.local/
This is the printer itself. It would be interesting to see what is given
for 'avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp'.
command not found when run as normal use and as root.

Samsung_C410_Series_TheLibrarian network none
ipps://Samsung%20C410%20Series%20%40%20TheLibrarian._ipps._tcp.local/cups
This is the queue you have set up with the Samsung driver on the server.
It is the queue you should be using to print to. A PDF is sent to the
server when printing from LibreOffice. If you have printed a PDF directly
from the server, there should be no problem with the LO one.
Agreed. This one, which is the shared USB connected printer, works.

$ lpoptions -p Samsung_C410_Series is now:
copies=1 device-uri=ipp://SEC30CDA71CB48A.local:631/ipp/printer finishings=3
job-cancel-after=10800 job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50
job-sheets=none,none marker-change-time=1560552544
marker-colors=#000000,#00FFFF,#FF00FF,#FFFF00,none,none,none,none,none,none
marker-levels=64,55,55,55,98,94,94,98,93,0 marker-message=marker-message
marker-names='Black\ Toner\ S/N\ :CRUM-14031169715,Cyan\ Toner\ S/N\
:CRUM-14031169678,Magenta\ Toner\ S/N\ :CRUM-14031182177,Yellow\ Toner\ S/N\
:CRUM-14031182186,Transfer\ Roller,Transfer\ Belt,Fuser\ Life,Pick-up\
Roller,Imaging\ Unit,Waste\ Toner'
marker-types=toner,toner,toner,toner,other,other,fuser,other,other,other
number-up=1 PageSize=Letter printer-commands=none printer-info='Samsung C410
Series' printer-is-accepting-jobs=true printer-is-shared=false
printer-is-temporary=false printer-location='family room'
printer-make-and-model='Samsung C410 Series' printer-state=3
printer-state-change-time=1560552569 printer-state-reasons=cups-ipp-conformance-failure-report,cups-ipp-missing-send-document
printer-type=2101324
printer-uri-supported=ipp://localhost/printers/Samsung_C410_Series
This complexity of output indicates a local queue set up with the
Samsung driver. As has been said - you really, really need to get rid
of it.

Again, I can't seem to print to the network attached printer with or without a local queue. However in Stretch printing to the network attached printer requires the local queue. This makes sense because the printer doesn't know what OS is printing to it. It just knows what commands it should be responding to (e.g. the driver).

When I print to the network attached printer via the local queue, or via a shared queue on the server, I get error messages. When I print to it without a local queue (i.e. the automagically detected printer), the output vanishes with no messages of any kind.

Your latest request fails:

cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/ppd/Samsung_C410_Series_ppd -m printer/foo -e
--list-filters /etc/nsswitch.conf
cupsfilter: Unable to open PPD file: Unable to open PPD file on line 0.
Segmentation fault
The given <Samsung_C410_Series_ppd> is a placeholder for the actual
name of the PPD. I suppose I could have worked out what it actually is.

root@transponder:~# ls -l /etc/cups/ppd
total 512
-rw-r----- 1 root lp 192111 Jun 14 18:39
EPSON_Stylus_Photo_R300_TheLibrarian.ppd
-rw-r----- 1 root lp  78398 Dec  9  2018 EPSON_XP-820_Series.ppd
-rw-r----- 1 root lp  78390 Nov  5  2018 EPSON_XP-820_Series.ppd.O
-rw-r----- 1 root lp  43299 Jun 14 18:39
HP_Color_LaserJet_CP1215_TheLibrarian.ppd
-rw-r----- 1 root lp  21016 Jun 14 18:39 PDF_TheLibrarian.ppd
-rw-r----- 1 root lp  32046 Jun 14 18:40 Samsung_C410_Series.ppd
-rw-r----- 1 root lp  32046 Jun 14 18:40 Samsung_C410_Series.ppd.O
-rw-r----- 1 root lp  32048 Jun 14 18:39
Samsung_C410_Series_TheLibrarian.ppd
The placeholder is intended to be filled by Samsung_C410_Series.ppd.

And again, that produces no output.