Re: strange behaviour with RDP clients connecting to Windows 10 machines

On 2019-06-14 1:49 a.m., john doe wrote:
On 6/14/2019 5:46 AM, Gary Dale wrote:
I recently had the unpleasant experience of "upgrading" a pair of
Windows 7/Pro computers to Windows 10/Pro - the 9 month old version, not
the latest install image. That's when I discovered the Windows 10
"feature" that it doesn't allow VNC connections when the monitor is
turned off (or not attached).

I enabled Remote Desktop services on both machines and can connect to
them when the monitor is off using RDP. However, even though I installed
the same version of Windows 10/Pro on each, they behave differently. One
was a long drawn out slug fest to get the "upgrade" to work (it still is
having problems with roaming profiles) while the other was a
straightforward.

I connect using an ssh tunnel to a stretch server with local port
forwarding so my connection is to localhost:3388. The ssh command
specifies the machine I want to connect to (e.g. ssh <remote ip> -L
3388:10.0.0.25:3389). This way I never expose a Windows machine to the
Internet. The only way in is through the server.

The machine that gave me the trouble on the upgrade connects without
problem using KDRC but not Remmina or Vinagre. The other computer
connects without a problem using Vinagre but not KDRC or Remmina.

Remmina gives a message saying "Unable to connect to RDP server
localhost" when I try connecting to either machine. Vinagre on the first
machine brings up an authentication dialog then crashes. KDRC does the
same thing when I try to connect to the second machine.

I'm probably going to "upgrade" both to the latest Windows 10 version in
the coming weeks, but for now I am puzzled about why I have to use 2
different programs to connect to 2 machines that are largely identical.

Not realy an answer, depending on what you need vnc for, one alternative
would be to use Cygwin as an ssh server on the Windows boxes.

I would not spend my time on non-up-to-date systems when Windows is
involved, one can only hope that the issues you are facing are fixed on
up-to-date Windows systems! :)

1) The Windows boxes are up to date. Microsoft releases a new version of Windows 10 every 6 months but continues to release updates for the older versions. This is similar to what Ubuntu does except that Microsoft doesn't label some versions as LTS and so far haven't dropped support for any version of Windows 10.

2) I don't want to directly connect to a Windows box. That would require opening up more ports on the router and giving hackers more targets.

--
John Doe