Re: Dual Boot Two Debian Versions

Le 11/06/2019 à 21:45, Stephen P. Molnar a écrit :

On 06/11/2019 02:20 PM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

IMO installing GRUB can be desirable for two reasons.

1) Obviously, it allows the drive to boot by itself so that you can move it into another machine, or remove the current boot drive, or change the boot order.

The OP uses legacy boot, but be aware that this won't work the same with EFI boot : installing a second instance of a Debian system will overwrite the existing EFI boot entry "debian".

2) It creates a grub.cfg file which provides hints about kernel parameters and so on when running update-grub from another system.

Should I, or should I not, install the the Buster grub sub-directory on sdd, the drive on which I intend installing Buster?

I thought I was clear enough in my previous post : I recommend to install GRUB with Buster on its own drive for the two reasons exposed above.

My understanding has been that I could install Buster, but not boot it at the end of the installation,

Why not ?

but rather close buster, reboot the computer into Stretch as root and then run update-grub in Stretch. Is this still a safe way to proceed?

Neither safe nor unsafe. What matters is whether you install GRUB with Buster or not.

My intent is to remove Stretch from the platform once that I'm confident with the performance of Buster, and the inevitable first problems with a new version of the OS have been resolved. But now I wondering about that course of action.

When you remove Stretch, you need Buster to have its own boot loader.