Re: How to disable automatic core dumps in Debian 9?

	Hi.

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 05:14:09PM +0300, Martin T wrote:
> Reco,
>
> thanks for reply!
>
> > rgrep core /etc/security/limits*
> > Would be more correct. Files at /etc/security/limits.d/ can override limits.conf.
>
> Indeed. Output of "rgrep core /etc/security/limits*" is following:
>
> $ rgrep core /etc/security/limits*
> /etc/security/limits.conf:#        - core - limits the core file size (KB)
> /etc/security/limits.conf:*               hard    core            0
> /etc/security/limits.conf:root            hard    core            0
> /etc/security/limits.conf:#root            hard    core            100000
> $
>
> So in short, the configuration in my initial e-mail was enough to
> disable core dumps?

I prefer to do it this way, but that's a matter of a personal preference
(note that it works for root too):

*	-	core	0

Overriding kernel.core_pattern is way too limiting for me. I need those
core files in certain cases (but live happily without them by default).

> After reading the "man 5 core", I also set the "kernel.core_uses_pid" to 0.

Zero is a default value for this in Debian anyway. So - can't hurt, but
I doubt it'll change something for you.

Reco