Re: Using ISO image of installer DVD as repository - How?

On 06/03/2019 12:07 AM, mick crane wrote:
On 2019-06-02 12:47, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 2019-05-31 13:20, Richard Owlett wrote:
With the first DVD of Debian 9.8.0 I did:
???? dd if=/dev/cdrom of=dvd.iso bs=4M
I edited sources.list to read
???? deb file:///home/richard/dvd.iso stretch main contrib trusted=yes

When running Synaptic's
?????? Edit->Reload Package Information
I receive an error message:
The repository 'file:/home/richard/dvd.iso stretch Release'
does not have a Release file.

What is the problem?
TIA

On one installation the installer requested if I would like to use the CDROM as a repository and put this line in sources.list which I later commented out because I didn't want to have to keep searching for the CD.

Due to bandwidth constraints [originally on dial-up, now just a low data cap] all but one of my installs have been from purchased DVD sets. Although I tend to accept defaults, I habitually use the installer's "Expert" mode. The closest to "...if I would like to use the CDROM as a repository..." I've been asked was if I wished to scan additional CDs. I often did. After leaving dial-up I began installing new packages from the online repositories, although I continue to upgrade my system by doing a fresh install from DVD sets.