Re: Using ISO image of installer DVD as repository - How?

On 2019-05-31 13:20, Richard Owlett wrote:
With the first DVD of Debian 9.8.0 I did:
   dd if=/dev/cdrom of=dvd.iso bs=4M
I edited sources.list to read
   deb file:///home/richard/dvd.iso stretch main contrib trusted=yes

When running Synaptic's
    Edit->Reload Package Information
I receive an error message:
The repository 'file:/home/richard/dvd.iso stretch Release'
does not have a Release file.

What is the problem?
TIA

I'm going to get in trouble for this but if I could offer advice.
You seem more interested in the actual install process than getting it running and doing something with it.
Fair enough, it is like a hobby,
When came across this stuff I was the same, installed whatever distribution on awkward hardware just to see.
But I had no idea what I was doing.
There is so much to know and if you have a memory like a sieve like me it is really hard to grasp how it all works. These days I accept the default installation and that which is needed to do bits of image manipulation and I really like having the email and webserver software and that's it.

cheers

mick

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31