Re: Ping as normal user (Was: Why /usr/sbin is not in my root $PATH ?)

On Wednesday 29 May 2019 07:46:50 pm Andy Smith wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 04:18:51PM -0500, Jason wrote:
> > On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 08:12:32AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > > While I didn't mention it in this thread, ping had indeed somehow
> > > lost its capabilities on my system. 'dpkg-reconfigure
> > > iputils-ping' fixed it.
> >
> > That worked for me (I'm not the OP) with Stretch on an ARM board.
> > Before running the above command, I could only ping as root or using
> > sudo, now I can ping as a normal user. Thanks!
>
> How did you install this system? Because /bin/ping is supposed to
> come with file capabilities such that the user can allow it to do
> what it needs to do (this is part of what 'dpkg-reconfigure
> iputils-ping' restores). So it would be interesting to know how the
> system was installed in case there is a general theme for those who
> never got those capabilities.
>
> One other person in this thread said they used (a script which
> ultimately uses) debootstrap.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

the default $PATH the installer sets up for $users, apparently does not
include any of the sbin's, only /usr/bin and /bin. I've been fixing that
for several generations of debian installs. Probably shouldn't as there
may be some good reason for it, but it is MY machine.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)