Re: Ping as normal user (Was: Why /usr/sbin is not in my root $PATH ?)

Hi Cindy,

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 09:48:44PM -0400, Cindy Sue Causey wrote:
> So, yeah, at least for Debootstrap. "iputils-ping" is in there at the
> absolute very first start where the Developers have picked the very
> first packages that get the party started before the User then picks
> everything else...

That's not the issue at hand. The issue is whether the file
/bin/ping retains the file capabilities. People who have a /bin/ping
that only works as root are missing these:

$ getcap /bin/ping
/bin/ping = cap_net_raw+ep

If they didn't have the package installed at all then it would be a
very different and more obvious error that was presented.

So my question is, are installs done by debootstrap somehow losing
the file capabilities? I ask because in this thread, one of the
other people reporting a /bin/ping without the correct capabilities
did their install through debootstrap.

If you've just done a debootstrap, what does getcap return for the
/bin/ping that got installed?

Cheers,
Andy