Re: lightweight wifi UI (Was: Insidious systemd)

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 09:49:45AM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> On Tue, 28 May 2019 18:56:44 +0300
> Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net> wrote:
>
> > 	Hi.
> >
> > On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 07:10:22AM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> > > Unapplicable in my case: sysvinit conversion done a year ago.
> > >
> > > For the Doubting Thomas that your are, the output of my simulated
> > > install -- the salient portions I spoke of highlighted.

> > > root@debian9:/home/patrick# apt -s install wicd
> >
> > Try this:
> >
> > # apt install wicd -s -o APT::Install-Recommends="0"
>
> apt/apt-get already by default set NOT to install Recommends, only
> dependencies.  And I check before installing anything just to be sure.

Yet your apt tries to install gksu, and mine does not.

> I've abandoned wicd and am considering other utilities, wifi-radar
> being toward the top of the list.  I may just go commandline since I
> only have to configure this home-based box once for wifi.

wpa_cli and an appropriate wpa_supplicant.conf is more than enough for
my laptop needs. Personally I see any GUI to WiFi as redundant
(aircrack-ng/kismet being an exception), but I suggest you to try
dhcpcd-gtk (GTK2) or wpagui (QT).

Both Notwork Manager and wicd try to do too many things, WiFi being one
of them. Both try to hide the fact that all that you really need is
something for L2 (wpa-supplicant or iwd) and for L3 (any dhcp client).

Both dhcpcd-gtk and wpagui simply try to provide a frontend to
wpa_supplicant.conf without trying to replace your whole network
configuration.

Reco