Re: lightweight wifi UI (Was: Insidious systemd)

>Based on my past experiences and research with systemd, I now
>always have do simulated installs with everything just to be sure
>nothing untoward happens.  The Subject Title was appropriate.

Patrick, I've seen some baloney in my day, but that prose takes the cake.
I think you're full of crap, but you could prove me wrong sort of
something like this:

$ apt -s install sysvinit-core wicd
NOTE: This is only a simulation!
      apt needs root privileges for real execution.
      Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
      so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  cgmanager initscripts insserv libcgmanager0 libglade2-0 libnih-dbus1
libnih1 net-tools
  python-dbus python-gi python-glade2 python-gobject python-wicd startpar
systemd-shim
  sysv-rc wicd-daemon wicd-gtk
Suggested packages:
  bootchart2 python-dbus-dbg python-dbus-doc python-gi-cairo
python-gtk2-doc pm-utils bum
  bootlogd
Recommended packages:
  gksu python-notify
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  systemd-sysv
  cgmanager initscripts insserv libcgmanager0 libglade2-0 libnih-dbus1
libnih1 net-tools
  python-dbus python-gi python-glade2 python-gobject python-wicd startpar
systemd-shim
  sysv-rc sysvinit-core wicd wicd-daemon wicd-gtk
0 upgraded, 20 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

$ apt policy
Package files:
 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     release a=now
 500 http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates/main amd64
Packages
     release
v=9,o=Debian,a=stable,n=stretch,l=Debian-Security,c=main,b=amd64
     origin security.debian.org
 500 http://http.us.debian.org/debian stretch-updates/main amd64 Packages
     release
o=Debian,a=stable-updates,n=stretch-updates,l=Debian,c=main,b=amd64
     origin http.us.debian.org
 500 http://http.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
     release v=9.9,o=Debian,a=stable,n=stretch,l=Debian,c=main,b=amd64
     origin http.us.debian.org
Pinned packages: