Re: reboot stuff doesn't start

On Tuesday 28 May 2019 11:53:26 am Reco wrote:

> 	Hi.
>
> On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 10:53:04AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > >
> > > Any execution error will terminate the script.
> >
> > The blame is on Debian for that one.  That's what Debian put in the
> > default /etc/rc.local file in every release up to jessie.  (They
> > "fixed" this in stretch by not having a default /etc/rc.local file
> > at all, but if you upgraded to stretch, you still have the old
> > default file.)
>
> I disagree. /etc/rc.local is a part of init (whenever it's sysvinit or
> systemd or upstart), being run as root. If something goes wrong there
> - it should fail as verbose as possible (yep, journald is worthless in
> this regard). Helps with diagnostics and all that.

I'll sure as hell 2nd that. If anything, rc.local should stack the errors
and keep on trucking, and when its out of things to do, then spit out
the errors if any, in the order encountered, to the syslog.

> > Debian's policy for developers is to use -e with all shell scripts
> > (horrible!),
>
> On the contrary. Helps with error catching, limits the damage (all
> package scripts are executed as root), promotes at least some kind of
> code quality.
> Side effects may include non-removing packages (failed prerm script),
> of course, but they have bugs.debian.org for these cases.
>
> > but inflicting that same policy on end users is not wise.
>
> End users can remove that '-e' flag if they believe it's problematic.
> rc.local is a simple shell script, open to all kinds of abuse
> including this one.

I assume the -e is a bash option? I just rescanned the man page without
find a reference other than a test for file -e=exists filename.

It is in the shebang line, so what does that do when its in that
position.
> Reco

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)