Re: Debian Programming languages

Quoting ghe (2019-05-24 18:14:42)
> On 5/24/19 9:08 AM, Paul Sutton wrote:
>
> > As I am trying to promote contributing to Debian,  what programming
> > languages are mostly used?
>
> C, perl, java, ruby, python, bash, that I know of. And probably several
> others. I don't recall seeing any COBOL, though :-)
>
> > I am asking as it helps to give people an
> > idea of what they need to learn or will learn as part of helping.
>
> The *nix kernels, and most of the command programs, are written in C, so
> C's a must. Java and python look like a kinda fixed up, OOP C, so
> they're not too hard to deal with once you know C.
>
> I don't know what ruby is like, but I see a lot of it in the mirrors and
> stuff.
>
> Perl is happily off on it's own. "There's more than one way..." Boy is
> there ever. Nice to write, but it's next to impossible to understand
> other people's code. Python, IMHO, seems to be creeping up to replace it.

That's plain wrong: Debian has perl at its core, and Python not.

Also, your simplification of Perl is common among folks ignorant about
Perl but is wrong as well: You _can_ write difficult-to-read code in
Perl by by no means do you need to, and most Perl code in Debian - i.e.
the thousands of CPAN modules, does not use a difficult-to-read coding
style.

You don't need to learn _any_ specific language in order to help out
with Debian: https://www.debian.org/intro/help

 - Jonas