Re: Debian Programming languages

On 24/05/2019 17:51, john doe wrote:
> On 5/24/2019 6:14 PM, ghe wrote:
>> On 5/24/19 9:08 AM, Paul Sutton wrote:
>>
>>> As I am trying to promote contributing to Debian,  what programming
>>> languages are mostly used?
>> C, perl, java, ruby, python, bash, that I know of. And probably several
>> others. I don't recall seeing any COBOL, though :-)
>>
>>> I am asking as it helps to give people an
>>> idea of what they need to learn or will learn as part of helping.
>> The *nix kernels, and most of the command programs, are written in C, so
>> C's a must. Java and python look like a kinda fixed up, OOP C, so
>> they're not too hard to deal with once you know C.
>>
>> I don't know what ruby is like, but I see a lot of it in the mirrors and
>> stuff.
>>
>> Perl is happily off on it's own. "There's more than one way..." Boy is
>> there ever. Nice to write, but it's next to impossible to understand
>> other people's code. Python, IMHO, seems to be creeping up to replace it.
>>
>> Bash reminds one of the syntax of the 1950s. The pits, but necessary.
>> And it's often the best way to make something happen right now.
>>
> '/bin/sh' on Debian is Dash.
>
> So I would say, general shell scripting ability and POSIX compliance
> (Dash/Posh).
>
> Avoiding Bashism if Bash is to be used.
>
> --
> John Doe

Thank you for this, very helpful and useful information, I (well others
too) hopefully have something to go on when trying to tell people about
contributing to Debian.

Granted not everyone (including me) is at developer level or may want to
get that far.

Question now is how to turn all this in to something that will hopefully
attract people to help with Debian or other free software projects that
are related.

Thanks again

Paul

Paul