Re: got a new problem with heyu, and it is a bug in bfltty that kills all /dev/ttyUSBnumber's

On Tuesday 21 May 2019 04:29:55 am you wrote:

> Gene Heskett composed on 2019-05-21 04:17 (UTC-0400):
> > I have no clue what brltty is, its new  to me.  Whats going on?
>
> Past bedtime. Google knew:
> https://github.com/brltty/brltty
> "BRLTTY is a background process (daemon) providing access to the
> Linux/Unix console (when in text mode) for a blind person using a
> refreshable braille display."

daytime again, and time to file a bug report, something I've not tried to
negotiate since my last mind numbing encounter with the dumbest software
out there, bugzilla.

It, brltty, should not disable /dev/ttyUSB# when its running. Thats what
gave it away, when I couldn't make heyu run.  The CM-11a is a serial
device, with a 4 pin telco plug on one end of its cable, and a db-9 for
a simple serial port on the other, but since the serial port is already
occupied, a usb to serial adapter is used and that creates
a /dev/ttyUSBnumber according to how many there might be.

But between the CM-11a complaining that it needed serviced as it had
stale data (about 2 weeks worth) to report, it hadn't had since wheezy,
and brltty's erroring on the CM-11a data it sends once a second till it
gets serviced when it has some status change to report, /dev/ttyUSB0 was
being destroyed about 1 second after it was created, I assume by the
CM-11a data being sent to udev as a string of errors instead of being
given to heyu which has an automatic response to that sort of incoming
data.

This to me is a bug that needs fixed.  No sense in denying someone using
braile facilities being denied the use of such adapters.  Thats
discriminatory.  And its a bug that could potentially generate a
lawsuit. So I'm going to add the debian-user list to the CC: Maybe
someone else with more experience at navigating their way thru bugzilla
can do it based on what I've written here.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)