Re: Just had to reset/reboot again, total loss of keyboard & mouse

On Monday 20 May 2019 08:51:42 am Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 10:35:29AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Sure they do, journalctl actually finds 6 instances of grep with
> > slightly different syntax, I assume to catch all the corner cases.
> >
> > May 17 23:08:14 coyote sudo[5114]:     gene : TTY=pts/6 ;
> > PWD=/home/gene ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/grep
> > hid-common /var/log/syslog
>
> Gene, you're missing the forest for the trees.  The goal was to find
> any meaningful logged messages with hid-common in them, in order to
> diagnose your issues with keyboard and mouse.
>
> But you manually ran some commands with hid-common in them using sudo,
> and so those were logged, and now you're picking up those results in
> the log. Those are all irrelevant.  They're just photos of you looking
> for clues, not actual clues.
>
> In any case, if you did not create a /var/log/journal directory, there
> is no persistent journal.  Which means it doesn't save the journal
> between reboots (it only lives in RAM).  That's the default behavior,
> for reasons I cannot guess.  If you want to change it, there are
> instructions in systemd-journald(8).
>
> In order for Felix's commands to be useful, you would have to create
> the persistent journal location, boot into the kernel that's having
> the problems, shut down cleanly enough that the journal gets saved to
> disk, then reboot into the working kernel so you can search the
> persistent journal from the broken boot.

What I haven't reported was that I did find in a bootup section of the
log, and odd looking reference to hpfax from the trinity install, which
I reported to the trinity list.  And the reply there was to rename it,
and if that solved the problem, then nuke it.  I renamed it to hpfox
last Wednesday, and have had no further trouble with the whole usb tree
dying since. This is Monday already.

its  part of hplip, but its like N-M, its been relinked and can't be
removed without taking the whole desktop with it.

So in order to run a dhcpd free host file system which is what I have
done here for much of 30 years going clear back into my Amiga days,
using static defined addresses for all the local net, the only thing you
can do to stop N-M from tearing down a working network is to setup
the /e.n/i.d/whatever name with the correct static data, and immediately
chattr +i it so N-M can't tear it down, ditto for the link called
resolv.conf. Nuke it, touch a real file by that name then edit the
nameserver stuff into it, and chattr +i it, again so N-M can't tear it
down. When N-M has been made to leave a net setup labeled "static" alone
I'll certainly celebrate. But that hasn't happened in the armbian world
yet.

So unless you make a living sending faxes, rename hpfax to something
else, others have had the same problems with it. IOW.its a knowm
troublemaker. So now it has been reported. FWIW, my cpu is running 10C
cooler too.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)