Re: Just had to reset/reboot again, total loss of keyboard & mouse

On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 10:35:29AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Sure they do, journalctl actually finds 6 instances of grep with slightly
> different syntax, I assume to catch all the corner cases.

> May 17 23:08:14 coyote sudo[5114]:     gene : TTY=pts/6 ;
> PWD=/home/gene ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/grep
> hid-common /var/log/syslog

Gene, you're missing the forest for the trees.  The goal was to find
any meaningful logged messages with hid-common in them, in order to
diagnose your issues with keyboard and mouse.

But you manually ran some commands with hid-common in them using sudo, and
so those were logged, and now you're picking up those results in the log.
Those are all irrelevant.  They're just photos of you looking for clues,
not actual clues.

In any case, if you did not create a /var/log/journal directory, there is
no persistent journal.  Which means it doesn't save the journal between
reboots (it only lives in RAM).  That's the default behavior, for reasons
I cannot guess.  If you want to change it, there are instructions in
systemd-journald(8).

In order for Felix's commands to be useful, you would have to create
the persistent journal location, boot into the kernel that's having the
problems, shut down cleanly enough that the journal gets saved to disk,
then reboot into the working kernel so you can search the persistent
journal from the broken boot.