Re: buildd and buildbot

On Sunday 19 May 2019 10:26:15 am David Wright wrote:

> On Sun 19 May 2019 at 02:24:20 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:

> > >   I only have a single rock64 board that I've used
> > >   just for testing to see what they're all about
> > >   and it's curently off-line.
> > >
> > >   It's been quite a while since I've visited the rock64 forum
> > >   but the few times I posted over there, respondents seemed
> > >   to be helpful ....
> > >
> > >   As always one's own proverbial mileage may vary ....
> >
> > I have built several rt-preempt kernels on an ssd plugged into one
> > of my rockk64's. Then asked how to install then because the u-boot
> > thing is new to me. Several times I've asked. Crickets.
> >
> > So yesterday I dd'd a new armbian 5.25 image to a 64Gb card and
> > thought I'd head the networking off at the pass by putting my hosts
> > file on it, and a static defined eth0 file in e/n/i.d as I've been
> > told that N-M won't touch a staticly defined interface. On first
> > boot it took 8 minutes to resize the image to the 64GB u-sd.  Then
> > it upgraded about 250 packages.  So thats good for a reboot so I
> > did. That was the last time the network worked for about 7 hours.
> > And that pulls my trigger...
> >
> > What I eventually found, because every time I looked at
> > /etc/resolv.conf it was generated by N-M but otherwise blanked.
> > Finally I discovered it was not a link to some cheater file, but a
> > real file! So I nano'd it to read the correct data, and chmod +i
> > immediately so N-M couldn't knock it up again. Stepped into
> > /e/init.d and ./networking restart. Worked, and has been working
> > ever since. I also tried to have apt remove N-M, but apt insists on
> > removing the desktop with it. So the only other thing is to castrate
> > N-M with chmod +i's on the files it wants to change and thereby
> > destroy a working staticly defined home network setup. At some point
> > I'll likely rm the bits and pieces of N-M as I've done that to
> > several older x86, amd64 & armhf distros and the rest of the system
> > has never complained about that angry bull in a china shop going
> > missing. By have resolv.conf search hosts,nameserver, with
> > nameserver defined as my router, its also the gateway, a query that
> > can't be resolved by the hosts file, is sent on thru dd-wrt to the
> > nameservers at my ISP, and it all Just Works. That teeny little
> > connection gui in the upper right corner of the armbian screen is
> > running as me after the first reboot, so it can't change anything
> > and won't even accept the correct data to make a static setup work,
> > and has no facility to ask for a sudo. So its as worthless as the
> > appendages on a bore hogs belly. Why is it even there?
>
> I can't remember just how closely your /e/n/i and resolv.conf
> have evolved to conform with their correct syntax (ISTR you did
> improve them a while back), but I don't feel it's worth taking the
> bull by the horns after seeing others trying to tackle you here.
>
> > ifconfig has been deprecated, but its only crime was that it worked,
>
> I've not noticed any lack of support in Debian beyond not trying to
> [...]

Thank you David, those 2 links are VERY helpfull. For one, they show the
shortcuts that actually work instead of spitting out the same error/help
screen forever. I'm going to look around on the first link to see what
other tuts it may have.

And no, I DON'T enjoy the fight. I have enough on my plate to keep 2 or 3
people busy since I am also a caretaker for my wife who has late stage
COPD, and at 75 lbs, managed to pull an Achilles tendon loose about 3
weeks back. Plus I'm trying to get setup to do some radio engineering
sorely needed by the small town American radio broadcasters as all the
other old-timers that used to do it, have just about all died. That
will, except for the local station, have to wait until I'm alone so I
can be gone for several days at a time depending on how far away the
station that needs me is.

As a retired tv Chief Engineer, I'm a rare breed, I have an FCC license,
and I am also a C.E.T. I don't just replace boxes that don't work, I
replace parts in the box to make the old one work, sometimes better than
when it was new. I don't climb towers anymore, but I've looked at most
of the county from 330 feet up a 509 foot tower, in a wind peaking at 70
mph. I did what needed to be done.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)