Re: buildd and buildbot

On Sun 19 May 2019 at 02:24:20 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > Their object is to sell the board, support is very thin to zip.
> > >
> > > BTDT, sorry I bought 2 of them.
> >
> >   I only have a single rock64 board that I've used
> >   just for testing to see what they're all about
> >   and it's curently off-line.
> >
> >   It's been quite a while since I've visited the rock64 forum
> >   but the few times I posted over there, respondents seemed
> >   to be helpful ....
> >
> >   As always one's own proverbial mileage may vary ....
> I have built several rt-preempt kernels on an ssd plugged into one of my
> rockk64's. Then asked how to install then because the u-boot thing is
> new to me. Several times I've asked. Crickets.
>
> So yesterday I dd'd a new armbian 5.25 image to a 64Gb card and thought
> I'd head the networking off at the pass by putting my hosts file on it,
> and a static defined eth0 file in e/n/i.d as I've been told that N-M
> won't touch a staticly defined interface. On first boot it took 8
> minutes to resize the image to the 64GB u-sd.  Then it upgraded about
> 250 packages.  So thats good for a reboot so I did. That was the last
> time the network worked for about 7 hours.  And that pulls my trigger...
>
> What I eventually found, because every time I looked at /etc/resolv.conf
> it was generated by N-M but otherwise blanked. Finally I discovered it
> was not a link to some cheater file, but a real file! So I nano'd it to
> read the correct data, and chmod +i immediately so N-M couldn't knock it
> up again. Stepped into /e/init.d and ./networking restart. Worked, and
> has been working ever since. I also tried to have apt remove N-M, but
> apt insists on removing the desktop with it. So the only other thing is
> to castrate N-M with chmod +i's on the files it wants to change and
> thereby destroy a working staticly defined home network setup. At some
> point I'll likely rm the bits and pieces of N-M as I've done that to
> several older x86, amd64 & armhf distros and the rest of the system has
> never complained about that angry bull in a china shop going missing. By
> have resolv.conf search hosts,nameserver, with nameserver defined as my
> router, its also the gateway, a query that can't be resolved by the
> hosts file, is sent on thru dd-wrt to the nameservers at my ISP, and it
> all Just Works. That teeny little connection gui in the upper right
> corner of the armbian screen is running as me after the first reboot, so
> it can't change anything and won't even accept the correct data to make
> a static setup work, and has no facility to ask for a sudo. So its as
> worthless as the appendages on a bore hogs belly. Why is it even there?

I can't remember just how closely your /e/n/i and resolv.conf
have evolved to conform with their correct syntax (ISTR you did
improve them a while back), but I don't feel it's worth taking the
bull by the horns after seeing others trying to tackle you here.

> ifconfig has been deprecated, but its only crime was that it worked,

I've not noticed any lack of support in Debian beyond not trying to
fight changes in how it presents its output (which makes it dubious
for parsing in scripts).

> leaving us with ip, whose man page is written in English, but may as
> well be swahili. Would it kill the authors mother to include 1 or 2
> examples to demo how it all fits together so it works instead of
> spitting out the same identical help screen in swahili every time?

I count 5 examples on 'man ip' and, for the ones I use more
frequently, 6 on 'man ip-address', 15 for 'man ip-link' 2 for
'ip neighbour' and 4 for 'man ip-route'. For manpages, I'd say
that's pretty good.

> did, just once, get it to show the routeing table. But thats all I have
> managed to get out of it in almost 2 years of the 10,000 monkeys typing
> exercise. ip? Needs 7 or 8 arguments just to look at eth0?  Nuke the
> SOB, and if something was wrong with ifconfig, fix it. I have no
> patience with solving a 50x50 crossword puzzle just to run that piece of
> crap. Yeah I'm unhappy, N-M and ip, because I couldn't get any answers
> out of it, cost me 7 hours yesterday.

I typed   linux ip command   into google and the top hit was
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-ip-command-examples-usage-syntax/
which not only has lots of examples, but also a table at the bottom
showing old and new equivalents. (Perhaps that's where you got
'deprecated' from.) The second hit was a two-page cheat sheet.
https://p5r.uk/blog/2010/ifconfig-ip-comparison.html
is another conversion kit.

But I think you just enjoy reliving your fights.

Cheers,
David.