Re: No Books in print on Systemd?

On Sat, 18 May 2019 23:11:42 -0400
Kenneth Parker <sea7kenp@gmail.com> wrote:

> Did also see the following two:
> >>
> >> * How Linux Works, 2nd Edition (Paperback); Brian Ward; 2015..
> >> Incidentally references systemd as one of the many topics covered.
> >>

> I'll  look, but this will, likely not have the detail I need.

Nope, probably not. I read it a couple of years ago and Brian's book
is huge, better still for a beginner I'd think. But if you're looking
for something that roughly makes up for systemd's man pages, on paper,
than this isn't it. I've been looking for one myself, no luck so far.
About the best I might mention at this point is "Linux in Action" by
David Clinton, Manning 2018, quite new. Be informed though it's more of
your typical sysadmin guide: very broad in subject, goes into archiving,
backups, hardening, webserver, devops, everything. Considering that,
it's not particularly large, hence once again often lacking the depth.
And then it doesn't have _a_ specific systemd part, or chapter; rather
it's kind of smeared all over the place, perhaps as you might expect,
a bit like systemd on Linux. ;)

I'm afraid, eventually there's (as yet) no replacement for the online
manuals, and as drab as man pages can be, or whether you like systemd
or not, I'd say the docs are quite decent. Not least considering its
age. Almost overdone. If all free software was like that, we wouldn't
need to kill too many trees.

Apart from that, and ongoing development, another hurdle could be that
systemd is just too Linux specific, really. While even there clearly
centered on the Desktop and enterprise environment. So while a book on
the kernel is just about as relevant if you're doing Android, or Linux
embedded, systemd isn't. Not to mention there haven't been a lot of
titles on init scripting either.

Best wishes,
Oliver