Re: replicating an installation baseline only (as if it had been a cummulative, virgin installation) ...

On 2019-05-14, Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx@gmail.com> wrote:
>  My question may not have been clear enough on my previous post about
> reinstalling debian, but I think I have a better idea about how to
> solve many of my problems.
>
>  I have an installation based on:
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux niggahme 4.9.0-6-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.88-1+deb9u1
> (2018-05-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux

> which I have customized and I am quite happy about. So, I would like
> to replicate onto another disk  just the baseline without browser
> "history", altered configuration files or any such things. As if I had
> installed Debian afresh.

Maybe apt-clone would be just your ticket.

curty@einstein:~$ apt-cache show apt-clone
Package: apt-clone
Version: 0.4.1
Installed-Size: 61
Maintainer: Michael Vogt <michael.vogt@ubuntu.com>
Architecture: all
Depends: python3:any (>= 3.3.2-2~), lsb-release, python3-apt, python3
Recommends: dpkg-repack
Description-en: Script to create state bundles
This package can be used to clone/restore the packages on a apt based
system. It will save/restore the packages, sources.list, keyring and
automatic-installed states. It can also save/restore no longer
downloadable packages using dpkg-repack.

 apt-clone clone foo
 (Creates foo.apt-clone.tar.gz. Copy it to the target machine.)

On target machine:
 apt-get install apt-clone
 apt-clone restore foo.apt-clone.tar.gz

I suppose the destination machine must be in a fresh, relatively virgin state
for this to be an operative solution.

Good luck.
--
“When he was dry, he believed it was alcohol he needed, but when he had a few
drinks in him, he knew it was something else, possibly a woman; and when he had