Re: amdgpu gpus support on debian 9

>How can i find what video cards are supported by package
>
>xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu (1.2.0-1)  in Debian Stretch?
>
>(i'm interested in RX470,RX570)
>
>The debian info is the same for all versions:
>

>https://packages.debian.org/stretch/xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu
>
>'This package provides the 'amdgpu' driver for the AMD Radeon cards. The
>following chip families should be supported: Bonaire, Hawaii, Kaveri,
>Kabini Mullins, Iceland, Tonga, Carrizo, Fiji, Stoney.'
>

>Alexandros

The way I understand it, the xserver-xorg-video-* pkg will support a
device that has a valid kms alias in the kernel driver, which gives it a
node somewhere around /sys/class/drm. (but I could be mistaken about this
relationship and how it works)

What I usually do if in doubt about a device, is use lspci and find the
VID and try and match it against an alias using modinfo against the
kernel module.  If it has an alias in the kernel module, X should be
able to use the device.

$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4
Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a42] (rev 07)
$ /sbin/modinfo i915 | grep -i 2a42
alias:          pci:v00008086d00002A42sv*sd*bc03sc*i*

Using Vendor ID seems a lot more specific than the project or device class
code names when figuring out if a device is supported.  The xserver pkgs
work together with the kernel kms driver, so you need the device to have
KMS support in the kernel, not just in the xserver pkg.