Help, windows dummy has bought one. I need it for a job or 100

Greetings all;

First it doesn't have a clue what to do with a wired network.
It sure wants to hook up to all the neighborhoods wifi, all of which are
secured.
Second, its like stretch seems locked to ipv6 but its ipv4 for at least a
hundred miles in any direction from  my 10-20 in North Central WV.

Third, I can't find a place to enter a netmask route or gateway, its been
sleeping with dhcp for way too long.

I finally find what sort of looks like the old xp network configurator
but it error beeps at me to the entry of any address on my local net that
isn't already taken.

So how do I convince this brand new unibody HP to use a static wired
network setup?

In the FWIW category, it takes winders 10 about 10x longer to boot than
any of my linux machines. Makes me wonder if they should have named it
window-0.1 because it is boringly slow.

Cheers, Gene (I need some winders help ) Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)