Re: jessie to stretch upgrade Killed sudo.

Quoting Martin McCormick (2019-05-06 21:24:41)
> Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> writes:
> >
> > I recommend to first make sure that the system tracks only packages from
> > one single Debian release (not a mixture of multiple releases, and
> > certainly not any non-Debian repositories).
> >
> > (then I'd probably install etckeeper if not done already, to have a way
> > of reverting some kinds of accidents in the following steps)
> >
> > Then I'd check that all packages have fully upgraded and no packages are
> > left that in not part of the new system.  Several ways to do that -
> > personally I prefer using aptitude in fullscreen mode (i.e. start it
> > with no non-option arguments) and look first at "Obsolete and Locally
> > Created Packages" section, then "Upgradable Packages", and then _all_ of
> > "Installed Packages" checking that the version is the one in the current
> > system.
> >
> > Then I'd inspect all packages recommended but not installed.  You
> > certainly should know for sure that why each and every exception is
> > there and that you really don't need it!  With aptitude that's done by
> > hitting "CTRL+t" and in menu "Views" select "Audit Recommendations".
> >
> > Then I'd purge all packages not installed.  In aptitude that's done by
> > standing on the section "Not Installed Packages" and hit "_", and then
> > "g" twice (skimming through what the list after first "g" to ensure
> > nothing suspicious sticks out).
> >
> > Then I'd inspect files below /etc - obvous bugs like broken symlinks,
> > and unfinished merge of conffiles (look for *.dpkg* files).
> >

> >  - Jonas
>
> Thank you.  I appreciate all the suggestions.  I have, so far, solved
> the immediate problem.  It dates back to 2017.  A file named
> /etc/pam.d/common-session which should be a 26-line configuration file
> had been overwritten by nulls.  How that happened, I do not remember
> but it is not a runtime-created file so I replaced it with a copy of
> the same file from the working system and sudo commands now work as
> they are supposed to.
>
>         If there turns out to be any more issues, I will use the steps
> you suggested plus compare file permissions and ownership of all
> related files.  Fortunately, all the stretch systems I have are
> basically copies of each other.
>
>         Again, many thanks to all who responded.

Good you located the cause of the problem.  Really frustrating when
system doesn't behave reasonable!

A file filled with nulls smells badly of filesystem corruption: My guess
is you don't ext4 with journalling enabled on that partition...

 - Jonas