Re: next amd64 stretch problem

On Sunday 05 May 2019 09:04:18 pm Gene Heskett wrote:

> Greetings all;
>
> I have only one, very weak sound, from kmails new mail beep.  Down
> about 20 db from what I'm used to hearing.
>
> Everything else is muted.  And I can't find the speaker-test utility
> in the repo's to even begin to troubleshoot, so whats the next step?
>
> Thanks all;
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
Well, the next step was to rip out anything even remotely associated with
pulseaudio, including all of pulse. Then installed just about everything
alsa, ran the mixer and found the front speakers muted, turned then up
and viola!, the speaker-test running in the background came up to full
volume.

A side effect since noticed is that in the last 30 minutes cycling thru
the playlist at foxnews, has not stuttered even for a millisecond, this
is the smoothest ff has ever run in 15 years and 5 or 6 other installs.
So AFAIAC, pulse is a system disabling viri.  Remove it.

Now, lets see if I can make apache2 run again.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)