Re: apache2 missing a file, won't run.

On Sun, May 05, 2019 at 05:16:04PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> FYI I am a member of the lpadmin group. Whats next? reboot to make it
> take effect?

Log out and back in to acquire the new privileges in your interactive
session.

However, in the case of CUPS via loopback HTTP, I don't know whether
that's actually required.  The CUPS daemon may take the privileges
directly from the /etc/{passwd,group} files.

> You have made it very clear not to assign a pw to root, do everything
> with sudo.

Bunk.  You can still do things normally.  In fact, normal (root having
a password) is still the default in Debian, insofar as anything is.

Also, having a root password makes it possible to login in single user
mode when there's a file system problem.  Good luck with that under an
Ubuntu-style (sudo only) setup.