Re: apache2 missing a file, won't run.

On 05.05.19 17:16, Gene Heskett wrote:
> You have made it very clear not to assign a pw to root, do everything
> with sudo.

That's just religion, Gene, promulgated to minimise queries and
complaints from people getting themselves into trouble. Like
vaccination, it only needs 95% coverage to provide herd immunity. To
avoid having to fuss with getting the sudo thing to actually work here,
I still do a "su -" in a spare xterm, and leave the root session open
for a while, till the current problem is sorted.

To remind that more than ordinary user care is warranted in that xterm,
in the event of leaving it open beyond short term memory, I put this in
/root/.bashrc

export PS1="\[\033[1;31m\]\u@\h:\W\$ \[\033[0;0m\]"

to make root's prompt red, and declare itself as root.

It takes more than a generalisation to alter my habits of more than 30
years. My take is: Use what works best for you, especially if you accept
the consequences without complaint. But I figure I'm treading a parallel
path to yours there.

Erik