Re: Which nvidia driver am I using

Le 04/05/2019 à 20:24, Felix Miata a écrit :
> Erwan David composed on 2019-05-04 20:06 (UTC+0200):
>
>> I have some display problems, I thought I was using the
>> nvidia-legacy-39xx driver (the packages are installed) but I see the
>> nouveau module loaded.
>> How can I check wether I use the nouveau driver or not, and how can I
>> switch the used driver ?
> There is no "the" nouveau driver. There is a nouveau kernel driver, and a nouveau
> DDX (Xorg) driver.
>
> 	inxi -Gxx
>
> will report the name of both kernel driver in use and the X driver in use. The DDX
> is provided by the optional but usually installed package
> xserver-xorg-video-nouveau. When neither it nor a proprietary NVidia driver are
> installed, the default DDX is usually used, modesetting (provided by the server
> package; not to be confused with the modesetting process provided by the kernel,
> which it depends on).
>
> Switching between nouveau DDX and modesetting DDX is /most easily/ accomplished by
> simply adding or removing the nouveau DDX package. Switching between NVidia and
> either of the others /depends on/ adding or removing the NVidia package precisely
> according to its documentation.

Ok, I did not know inxi.

Output is

Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GF108M [NVS 5400M] vendor: Lenovo driver:
nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:0def
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: modesetting
unloaded: fbdev,vesa compositor: kwin_x11 tty: N/A
           OpenGL: renderer: NVC1 v: 4.3 Mesa 18.3.4 direct render: Yes

So nouveau/modesetting is used.

The nvidia driver was used but when It stopped supporting my card (and I
had to install the nvidia-legacy-39xx driver) something was not done
correctly.

However I had not many choice at that time it was either install the
legacy packages or have a broken install including other packages.

What are my options now ? I do not know where to begin looking for
documentation on reparaing my install.