Re: Which nvidia driver am I using

Erwan David composed on 2019-05-04 20:06 (UTC+0200):

> I have some display problems, I thought I was using the
> nvidia-legacy-39xx driver (the packages are installed) but I see the
> nouveau module loaded.

> How can I check wether I use the nouveau driver or not, and how can I
> switch the used driver ?

There is no "the" nouveau driver. There is a nouveau kernel driver, and a nouveau
DDX (Xorg) driver.

	inxi -Gxx

will report the name of both kernel driver in use and the X driver in use. The DDX
is provided by the optional but usually installed package
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau. When neither it nor a proprietary NVidia driver are
installed, the default DDX is usually used, modesetting (provided by the server
package; not to be confused with the modesetting process provided by the kernel,
which it depends on).

Switching between nouveau DDX and modesetting DDX is /most easily/ accomplished by
simply adding or removing the nouveau DDX package. Switching between NVidia and
either of the others /depends on/ adding or removing the NVidia package precisely
according to its documentation.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/