Re: apt pinning: find out from which system version is a package

On Fri 03 May 2019 at 23:09:58 (+0200), Emanuel Berg wrote:
> tomas wrote:
>
> >> That's some heavy parsing, only I don't get
> >> it to work. I get "no such file or directory:
> >> " from the first, apt-cache-dump invocation.
> >
> > This is because it's spelt "apt-cache dump",
> > I guess ;-)
>
> No, then it says "zsh: command not found:" :)

Unless you paste something that shows what you actually did,
I don't see that this reply advances the thread.

I've no idea whether using zsh instead of bash has any syntactical
implications. If binaries such as apt-cache and dpkg-query are
inaccessible, that's for you to fix. AFAIK their packages are
either essential or important.

I presume you realise that "$Unique1" is a temporary file. Because
I create them with mktemp, I have to redirect using >> rather than >
to circumvent bash's noclobber.

Finally, my script fragment was designed to yield information in bulk,
ie for all packages, because your OP contained 'dpkg -l'. But having
now seen your optimal requirement for '$ from-what-release foo',
my script is probably overkill.

Cheers,
David.