Re: Obtaining/compiling/installing python3.7

On 04/26/2019 02:25 PM, Darac Marjal wrote:

On 26/04/2019 18:42, Richard Owlett wrote:
I wish to try some beta software which assumes python3.7 is installed.
I have Debian 9.8 installed on a machine dedicated to this exercise. I
did a web search and got a half dozen on topic hits. There were enough
differences that I wasn't sure if I was missing something important.
The last time I compiled something was on a PDP 11/45 in approximately
1975.

Suggestions?
TIA

If you're beta testing the application, you may need to beta-test the OS
for it, too:

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=python3.7

python3.7 is available in testing.

Using Buster was my original idea but it's not ready in ways important to me. I had been looking for Python3.7 in backports. What snags might I hit attempting to use a testing package in stable? I'm using an isolated system so I can take some risks.

Alternatively, if you want to be able to run python3.7 alongside your
system python, why not run it in a docker?

I've seen the term "docker". Looks about time to see just what it is. I see a reading assignment in my near future. It may solve some unrelated problems.

https://quay.io/repository/python-devs/ci-image