Re: Net::DNS::Nameserver

On 4/26/19, tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 12:19:09PM +0100, mick crane wrote:
>
>> can somebody explain generally what this scheme of things with the
>> dots has to do with ?
>> seen this in perl as the kind of hierarchy of modules but how is
>> this to do with the OS ?
>>
>> ~$ apropos nameserver
>> Net::DNS::Nameserver (3pm) - DNS server class
>
> You mean those double colons ('::')?
>
> If yes: those are just separators for the Perl module namespace, which
> conceptually is a hierarchy. At the (right) end you can put some object
> (function, variable) living in that module's [1] namespace.
>
> Those are just a device to subdivide the namespace and to organize
> file system "places" [1] -- they have no intrinsic "meaning" to perl
> (i.e. the language itself has no notion of "Net" or "Net::DNS" -- just
> of "Net::DNS::Nameserver").
>
> Cf "perldoc -f require" for the full thing :-)
>
> [1] In Perl parlance, it is a "package".
> [2] Typically you'll find the package code in Net/DNS/Nameserver.pm
>    under a suitable "module root", e.g. /usr/share/perl5. The whole
>    list of roots is in the special array variable @INC.

I just happened to start noticing the same format being used within
"apt-cache show" query feedback, too. Took a second to find a good
example. This is for "openshot" (video editor):

Tag: implemented-in::python, interface::graphical, interface::x11,
 role::program, scope::application, use::editing, works-with::audio,
 works-with::video, x11::application

I THOUGHT I had searched "apt-cache" using those tags when I first
noticed them. It's not working that way now. It must have been that
the description's author had used the same categories as keywords in
their product description.

Am "feeling like" I've seen something where we could search by tags.
Sounds like a handy place for something like that to work.

Those tags would save at least a little bit on the false hits if you
were able to search for any packages with a developer expressed "use"
of "editing". Then you narrow that search to more specific usage needs
by seeking anything that "works with (consumes) audio (files)" which
is, in fact, something that has been a question on this list at some
point. Seems like that "interface" applied to that remembered thread
because the User was wanting something... command line. :D

That X11 tag, my memory's saying it feels like there was a question
where a User was seeking something that needed to specifically be
X11-friendly, too..

There's something to be said for the wide-open wing-it method, though.
Pick any keyword, and see what new find bubbles to the top. I searched
on "dragonfly" the other day while waiting for them to show back up
and start chasing water sprays out in the yard this Spring. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *