Re: WebRTC software

Quoting rlharris@oplink.net (2019-04-26 20:35:36)
> On 2019.04.26 10:43, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > WebRTC is not one but a range of things.
> >
> > Since you mention Asterisk, you are probably looking for an SFU -
> > one of the best SFUs, Janus, is in Debian (maintained by me).  The
> > contrib package janus-demos can be used as basis for custom
> > applications around Janus.
> >
> > You might find my notes on the subject of some use:
> > http://source.redpill.dk/media-stream-hosting.git/tree/README.md
>
> I have need for a one-on-one video conferencing system.  I find
> appealing the privacy of hosting my own server, but the big advantage
> would be that the guy on the other end can just type in my URL without
> installing a package and configuring it.  This is the first time I
> have heard of Janus.  I was considering Jitsi Meet, but that package
> appears to be not yet in the "it just works" category.  My next
> selection for video conferencing would have been Ekiga, but Ekiga
> requires installation and configuration on both ends.
>
> Am I misunderstanding the role and capabilities of Janus, or would
> Janus would suit my application?

Janus support several use cases - have a look at the various demos, and
perhaps in particular https://janus.conf.meetecho.com/videocalltest.html

> Is Janus suitable for one-on-one conferencing over a "garden-variety"
> link (2000 kbit/sec download, 500 kbit/sec upload)?

That seems fine, yes.  You can configure Janus to limit bandwidth.

For optimal results run a gateway for your network which reduces
bufferbloat: https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/

 - Jonas