Re: Debian Stretch freezes often

On 4/23/19, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 07:17:28AM -0400, Enzo Guerra wrote:
>
> Enzo, has this machine had any operating system on it before Stretch? With
> no problems?
>
> How often does it freeze? Every hour? Every couple of days? Do you hear
> anything prior to the freeze, like the fans kicking into high gear?

Knowing what type of program or programs is open each time wouldn't
hurt. Knowing specifically which ones... ok, yeah, I know... the list
could become seemingly endless. My thought process is that maybe
certain ones or combinations of certain genres/families are calling
something up that causes this.

Knowing any personal tweaks done at installation wouldn't hurt, either..

Or knowing things like what I just did LITERALLY ten minutes ago... 2
different versions of the same browser. One's installed via
apt/apt-get... the other manually installed by extracting to /tmp then
certain files were renamed and/or their textual content altered in an
ATTEMPT to prevent conflict before copying over to /usr/*.

Total smooth move that's destined to go quite swimmingly. Am
contemplating opening both at the same time to get today's party
started off with just the right bang-fizzle.. *cues downward spiraling
slide whistle stinger*

> Which window manager / desktop environment? Can you switch to a different
> DE for a couple of days and get different results?
>
> I'm not sure which logs to look into, but my starting place would be
> /var/log.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey