Re: Debian Stretch freezes often

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 7:45 AM Henning Follmann <hfollmann@itcfollmann.com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 07:17:28AM -0400, Enzo Guerra wrote:
> hello
> having problem with Debian Stretch
> (installed around Mar 15, 2019, by netinstall)
> it is freezing quite often
> seems random while using different programs
> my system:
> Ryzen 5, 16gb, ASUS 320 motherboard, mp500 m.2 120gb ssd, debian on
> complete disk (1 partition, also a swap partition), used uefi and lvm
> have an amd rx560 gpu, installed non-free amdgpu driver
> typically installed software (libs) with aptitude
> aptitude reports no broken packages
> did install GOG game BG2EE with instructions
> from https://wiki.dotslashplay.it/en/games/baldurs-gate-2
> game plays okay, but freezes also
> other programs i run:
> gedit, make, g++-6, vim, evolution and iceweasel
> not sure what information i can provide to help solve this problem
> please let me know
> regards
> enzo

No logs => it did not happen!

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com

Yes, but maybe tell him what logs to look at.

Enzo, has this machine had any operating system on it before Stretch? With no problems?

How often does it freeze? Every hour? Every couple of days? Do you hear anything prior to the freeze, like the fans kicking into high gear?

Which window manager / desktop environment? Can you switch to a different DE for a couple of days and get different results?

I'm not sure which logs to look into, but my starting place would be /var/log.

--
Kent West                    <")))><